Friday, April 24, 2009

Some power punches and kicks



Muay Thai is an exacting science. You need to prepare for it strenuously.
When I was a kid training at the martial arts camp we used to squat almost endlessly, with a fire under and between our legs, while we had to hold water buckets on a rod on our shoulders. The idea was to simultaneously power the shoulders (used for punches) and the legs (used for kicks). And the fire? Every time we became tired or slack and moved, the fire would ensure that we could not budge!!

Now I train a lot at gyms. We also have boxing contests, amongst ourselves. But earlier, I would run for hours, kick on trees. I used to be crazy about training. You must be a bit that way, to really pick it up. The preparatory training, as with other martial arts is intense. Perhaps more than other sports, since you use every part of your body to hit and defend.

No comments:

Post a Comment