( Tony Jaa with the classic Thai style boxing hand binding)Here is how you want to tie the band. This has the best technique and step-by-step instructions. I follow the same style, hence my recommendation:)
(A Student's hand with the Mumbai boxing bands)In Mumbai you get some basic boxing bands which are functional. They cost around Rs 125 a pair and available at those sports that stock boxing stuff. Check my blog earlier on this, under the label Boxing shopping). I have a black set which I never share with anyone. Others seem to have different quality. I prefer the thicker material, since it does not get shapeless and remains firm while binding.
The book Muay Thai by Panya Kraitus and Dr Pitisuk Kraitus (from Thailand) chronicles that boxing bands are probably recent entrants in boxing history. The use of string and cords (Kad Cheug) was anned after a death in the rings: with sweat the cords become taut and dangerous, like weapons.
Usually the trainer ties it for you but you can also tie it yourself. Starting with the thumb and wrapping it over the knuckles, which is the key area you seek to protect with this band.
The above book states it right: the binding should be snug but not tight: the latter can cut off blood circulation and can be counterproductive.




No comments:
Post a Comment